2 Corinthians 3:12: Therefore, since we have such a hope, we are very bold. OUR MISSION, VISION AND CORE VALUES
The mission of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and Preschool is to reflect God’s hope, which we express through:
· celebration, · connection, · compassion.
Celebrating the unconditional love of God in Jesus through worship and learning; connecting people to God through Jesus Christ, to one another in community, and to the world by welcoming all people; compassionately living out our gratitude in ministry, mission, outreach, and generosity.
The Vision of Gloria Dei Lutheran Church and Preschool: A community so over-flowing with God’s hope that celebration, connection, and compassion pour out to the local community and to the entire world.
Our Core Values:
· FOCUSED: Single-minded focus on Jesus – His life, death, and resurrection. (John 20:18)
· LISTENING: We believe strongly in the “three great listenings” – listening to God, to one another, and to our community. God not only gives us His Word, but gives us His ear, listening to the prayers of all people. In response to God’s grace, we will carefully listen to the hopes, concerns, needs, and wisdom of our community and world. (1 Kings 19:12)
· LEARNING: Jesus calls his followers disciples, which means students or apprentices. We will focus on life-long learning of the Biblical story so that people of every age would be deeply inspired to live out their faith. (Matthew 28:20)
· ROOTS AND RELEVANCE: We will steadfastly honor apostolic traditions and rites that eloquently communicate the grace of Jesus, but we will also change our methods and programs if it helps us more effectively communicate that love. We value both history and imagination, tradition and creativity, timeless witness and innovation in accomplishing our mission. (Matthew 7:24-27)
· COMMUNITY: We mean everybody. All ages, races, generations, saints and sinners are not only welcomed, they are also ministers. We will offer age-specific classes and other types of need-specific groups, but we will always offer cross-generational fellowship and ministry opportunities. (Acts 2:43-47)
· GRATITUDE: This is the Christian response and lifestyle. We want our worship, our learning, our outreach, everything to reflect our thankfulness to God. We want to be good stewards of all the blessings of God so that the entire world will be impacted by our ministry. (1 Thessalonians 5:18)
· LAUGHTER AND TEARS: Jesus was fully human and fully divine and therefore, no human emotion is foreign to Him. Following Him, we will learn when to be serious about sin (especially self-righteousness and arrogance) and injustice (especially to “the least of these”), but we will also laugh at ourselves and rejoice in the ways that God continues to work with less than perfect people. (John 15:11)
· DISCIPLES THAT MAKE DISCIPLES: The Holy Spirit always turns our primary mission and ministry outward. We want everyone to know Jesus’ love and we will work to equip and encourage all followers of Jesus to live out their faith in their homes, neighborhood, community, and world. (John 3:16)
Gloria Dei - "Glory of God!"
Gloria Dei Lutheran Church is a Christian church and part of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. This approximately 5 million member church body is part of the larger Lutheran family - The Lutheran World Federation (70 million people.).
For more information on what we believe, visit the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's website at elca.org.
The following video describes some of the work and mission of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, both in the United States and around the world.
In 1965 Pastor Donald Bankson was called by the American Lutheran Church to begin a new church and on September 19, 1965, the first service was held at Serra School in Capistrano Beach with a total of fifty people in attendance. After moving worship services to Richard Henry Dana Elementary School, they broke ground on the current site on December 11, 1966, with dedication services of the first unit on December 11, 1966. The total cost of the first building and land was under $200,000. The church continued to grow and change through the years and in 1975, Pastor John Knudson was called to serve as Pastor. The church continued to change and add staff and in 1984, the second unit (the fellowship hall) was built. The Gloria Dei Preschool began as a ministry of the church in 1986. On June 23, 2000, Pastor David R. Mattson was installed as Pastor. The congregation has continued to grow (setting records in worship attendance). The sanctuary was renovated and expanded. The preschool is full with a waiting-list. “O God our help in ages past…” We thank God for His faithfulness towards Gloria Dei, empowering this ministry, and granting us a wonderful heritage.
Today, Gloria Dei Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (E.L.C.A.). With over 330 people in Sunday worship, with a full preschool, and a growing youth ministry, the staff now includes the following full-time people: Senior Pastor David Mattson, Associate Pastor Sabrina Vasta, Betsy Dubow (Administrative Assistant), Shelli Parajeckas (Preschool Director), and Quinn Stone (Youth Director). The staff also includes many part-time people: Barb Collins (Children's Ministry Director), Steve Sivcovich (Adult Choir Director and Organist), Kathy Person (Children's Music Director), Preschool Teachers, and other musicians. Gloria Dei also supports Pastor Dorcas Wang, missionary in China.
Gloria Dei continues to grow in many ways (worship attendance, programs, ministries). We have just expanded our parking lot to accommodate some of that growth. We have plans to build a new sanctuary. We are adding Bible studies each year. Youth groups continue to expand and welcome more and more kids into their program. We are working hard at becoming a life-changing church through our missionaries, caring ministries, and service. We will continue to “run with our strengths” and emphasize the need for all God’s people—every generation—to work and worship together. We will continue to seek God’s guidance that more and more people would come to know in a personal way, the love of Jesus Christ.
33501 Stonehill Dr. | Dana Point, CA 92629 | 949.493.3414 |